Chakra is a Sanskrit word meaning spinning wheel. Chakras are a system of seven energy centers located along the spine. Each chakra governs certain areas / parts of the body. They are also tapped into our endocrine glands. Chakras have physical, psychological and spiritual functions. When chakras are out of balance, certain behavioral characteristics are demonstrated. Such as, depression, lack of motivation, poor communication, dishonesty, overly sensitive, blocked creativity, fearfulness, anger, lack of confidence, shyness, irresponsibility and more. Certain physical characteristics are demonstrated as well. Issues such as kidney problems, back pain, headaches, sinus issues, problems with legs & hips, high blood pressure, insomnia, poor circulation, muscle cramps, lack of energy, low sex drive and many more.
Practicing meditation and yoga, getting regular crystal therapy sessions or reiki sessions will help you to focus your energies. This will align your chakras and get all the wheels spinning and flowing again. Understanding how to fine tune and control your chakras through different practices takes time and dedication.
Each of the seven chakras are associated with a particular body location, a color, a central emotional / behavioral issue, as well as many other personal aspects, including identity.
The seven chakras are:
- Muladhara or Root chakra- located at the base of the spine. COLOR is RED. FUNCTION is survival instincts, self-preservation, grounding, safety / stability. Corresponding area / parts of the body are the legs, feet, kidney, Immune system, blood, bladder and male reproductive organs.
- Svadhisthana or Sacral chakra- located a couple inches below the belly button. COLOR is ORANGE. FUNCTION is sexuality, relationships, reproduction, emotions, creativity and nurturing. Corresponding area / parts of the body are sex organs, skin, stomach, gallbladder, pancreas, kidney and upper intestines.
- Manipura or Solar Plexus chakra-located between the bottom of the rib cage and the belly button. COLOR is YELLOW. FUNCTION is personal power, self-definition, accomplishments, will and ego. Corresponding area / parts of the body are upper stomach, digestive system, kidney, adrenals and small intestines.
- Anahata or Heart chakra-located in the center of the chest. COLOR is GREEN. FUNCTION is love, compassion, forgiveness, self-acceptance. Corresponding area / parts of the body are the heart, circulatory system, blood, rib cage, lungs, diaphragm, thymus, esophagus, breast, arms, hands and shoulders.
- Vishuddha or Throat chakra-located in the center of the throat. COLOR is BLUE. FUNCTION is speech, expression of thoughts and feelings, truth, integrity and self-expression. Corresponding area / parts of the body are throat, trachea, thyroid, nerves, mouth, teeth, gums, arms, esophagus and neck vertebrae.
- Ajna or Third Eye chakra-centered between the two eyebrows (middle of forehead). COLOR is INDIGO. FUNCTION is intuition, wisdom, visualization and self-reflection. Corresponding area / parts of the body are brain, pituitary glands and nervous system.
- Sahasrara or Crown chakra- located on top of the head. COLOR is WHITE or VIOLET.FUNCTION is spiritual connection to the universe. Self-knowledge, transformation, integration of the whole and enlightenment. Corresponding area / parts of the body are brain, pineal / pituitary glands and nervous system.
The spiritual function of chakras is Kundalini energy. This is the ultimate life force or our “inner flame”. It’s our connection to our true self / highest self. It’s our connection to higher consciousness and wisdom, our connection to everything as a whole or as “one”. In its dormant state, it can be visualized as a coiled-up snake resting at the base of the spine. We all possess this energy but not everyone awakens or activates it. When this energy is awakened or activated, it is said to flow upwards through all chakras at once, allowing them to function at optimal levels. This enhances our mystical / spiritual experiences which causes us to grow and transform ourselves and our lives. The final result is an expanded state of consciousness.
And so it is, this lesson that when our energy centers or chakras are free from blockages, when they are open and balanced, energy flows freely through our bodies and minds. This provides countless benefits in our daily lives! We experience increased energy levels, clarity, focus, ambition, happiness, love, joy and health. We are free from tensions, aches, pains, illnesses and diseases. We function at optimal levels, achieving goals and all that which we desire. We develop meaningful and lasting relationships. We live life exactly the way we want to live it. And most importantly, we live our life in peace. Who wouldn’t want that?!
Have an open mind going into any practice(s) that will cleanse, align and balance the chakras. Be ready to surrender all that no longer serves you. This could be habits, people, objects or careers. Always go into any practice(s) with respect and commit to it. It goes much easier when you don't resist change.
What’s that? You’re right, it is going to suck giving up belief systems, thought patterns, people, jobs and habits. Uh-huh, you’re right again… it definitely will not be easy! But growth, on any level, let alone ALL levels, never is. The way I see it, peace in mind, body and spirit is totally worth it.
Remember that you are never alone! There are dear souls in this world that can help guide you through this bumpy process in the form of reiki practitioners, crystal therapists, meditation facilitators, yoga teachers and more. Make an appointment so you can start to learn how to "let go in order to gain more".
With LOVE & LIGHT ! –